We all have been there, it’s January 1st and you have a list full of things that this year you really will accomplish. Since it’s the first week you take the step, pay that gym subscription, buy healthy groceries, but after a couple of weeks, you are back into your old habits. Sounds familiar?
Today we want to share a few tips to help you really accomplish your resolutions without feeling overwhelmed or discouraged after a couple of months.
Tips To Accomplish Your New Years Resolutions
1. 3 Goals Only: We know that you want to lose weight, get off of debt, travel the world, and hike Everest, but in order to ensure that this will happen you will have to pick only 3 resolutions. We often make the mistake of making a huge list of things we want to change but end up feeling discouraged because we don’t accomplish all of them. In this list of 3 goals, you will choose one primary goal and two secondaries, in order to give them a priority.
2. Write Your Resolutions Down The simple act of having your resolutions written in a visible place as a reminder can be a game-changer when it comes to sticking to them. Remember, vision gives pain a purpose, so every time you feel like quitting you will have a reminder of why you started and that will help you keep on track.
3. Divide: One huge mistake that we make is to try to make a huge change happen at once. I never worked out before, and each January I will join the gym, make a super restrictive diet, and end up quitting before March. What really made a difference for me was to divide each goal into simple/easier actions. I started going for 30-minute walks and quitting soda, then I followed workout videos at home and ate more veggies. Before I realized I was able to run on the treadmill for 40 minutes without feeling like I was going to die. Remember, you are in this for the long haul so make small changes that will help you stay there.
4. One Goal At A Time: Don’t make the mistake of embracing all 3 goals at a time because it can become overwhelming. For example, if your principal goal is to become healthier, make a small change each month that will help you keep on track. For example:-January: Walk 30 minutes, 3 times a week.-February: Quit soda, eat more veggies.-March: Cook your lunch at home. -April: Start running, meditate. And so on in order to really make long-lasting changes.
5. Keep Track: Having a calendar with a mark each day that you follow your goals will help you stay motivated during your process. Watching all of the hard work marked on visual will motivate you to continue working hard even when you want to give up.
We guarantee you that every single effort will be worth it. Make changes and celebrate your progress. Remember, you are worth it!
At Rehealth, we believe that having informed patients is the only way to deliver optimal healthcare. Visit our website to find out more interesting content and be a part of an amazing health integrated community!