It is no secret that 1 out of 4 Americans deals with insomnia on a daily basis. Things like stress, overworking, and even caffeine over-consumption seem to affect our ability to sleep. However, it is actually possible to get yourself to sleep in 10 seconds and today we will teach you how!
Fall Asleep In 10 Seconds
It might sound like a magic spell, with this is actually possible with practice and following the Military Method.
The Military Method
This method was reported by Sharon Ackerman and it comes from a routine that the military develops to train their soldiers to fall asleep in the middle of noise and light, sitting or laying down, and fast, really fast.
According to it, everything starts with relaxing your face and it goes like this:
- Relax your face, including the muscles inside your mouth.
- Drop your shoulders to release the tension and let your hands drop to the side of your body.
- Exhale, relaxing your chest.
- Relax your legs, thighs, and calves.
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds by imagining a relaxing scene (A beautiful beach, or a relaxing sunset work wonders).
- If this doesn’t work, try saying the words “don’t think” over and over for 10 seconds.
- Within 10 seconds, you should fall asleep!
Note: This method normally requires about 6 weeks of practice to work in 10 secs but once you’ve had enough practice, it has been proven to work wonders.
Fall Asleep In 60 Seconds
This method works as a cycle that involves breathing and counting, and I have personally tried it and trust me, it does the trick!
The 4-7-8 Cycle
This method involves breathing, counting, and meditation, and I can assure that it delivers what it promises.
- Let your lips part slightly and make a whooshing sound as you exhale through your mouth.
- Then close your lips and inhale silently through your nose. Count to 4 in your head.
- Then hold your breath for 7 seconds.
- After that, exhale (with a whoosh sound) for 8 seconds.
- Avoid being too alert at the end of each cycle. Try to practice it mindlessly.
- Complete this cycle for four full breaths. Let your body sleep if you feel relaxation coming on earlier than anticipated.
This method also requires practice, but in a couple of days you will do the counting automatically and it gets easier.
Fall Asleep In 120 Seconds
If none of the previous methods helped you to fall asleep, try the following one.
This method involves reverse psychology It consists of telling yourself to stay awake, alert, or simply to not fall asleep continuously until you fall asleep.
It sounds cheesy but it totally works. I discovered this unintentionally because when I have trouble falling asleep my husband always tells me to jump, run, or get active and I immediately start yawning. So this is another one that I can assure works.
According to different studies paradoxical intention helps people fall asleep twice as fast as those who don’t practice it. Additionally, it’s been proven to work well for people that get stressed when they can’t sleep.
Now that you know all the tricks to help yourself fall asleep faster, the following tricks will ensure a good quality of sleep:
- Hide your clock, and beat the temptation to watch your phone every 15 minutes.
- Avoid at any cost to count the hours that you have left before your alarm rings. This only gets you stressed and frustrated.
- Take a warm shower before getting to bed.
- Wear socks.
- Take a glass of warm milk.
- Use aromatherapy in your room.
- Set your room dark and cozy.
Keep in mind that going to bed should be a relaxing-renewing time and not a stressful moment. Avoid by all means to read your emails at bed or to check your phone beforehand because that opens the door for duty and distraction. Remember, rest is the key to productivity and wellbeing.
At Rehealth, we believe that having informed patients is the only way to deliver optimal healthcare. Visit our website to find out more interesting content and be a part of an amazing health integrated community!