The intake of maca root has grown dramatically during the last year. The root has been claimed to be a source of innumerable benefits ranging from enhanced fertility to improved stamina and energy. Today we will analyze its benefits to determine if it’s a true superfood or just hype.
What is Maca?
Maca root AKA the Peruvian ginseng is a traditional root that grows on the Andes of central Perú. Maca is a cruciferous vegetable related to the broccoli and kale family. Normally, the eatable part of the vegetable is the root, which is dried, and powdered to be consumed in capsules or as a supplement for smoothies.
Maca’s taste is very nutty, and sweet which makes it perfect to be blended in smoothies, oatmeal, and juices. I have heard that some people even mix it with coffee, but I personally would not mess up my caffeine dose.
The Benefits of Maca Root
Although initially it was considered a medicinal plant, maca root has many benefits that go far beyond a vitaminic intake. Here are some of the benefits of these roots:
- High Nutrition: Maca root is an excellent source of carbs and fiber, and it’s also packed with vitamins C, B6, Iron, potassium, and even copper, which makes it a perfect supplement.
- Energy Booster: Maca gained popularity in the bodybuilder culture due to its energy-booster properties. Among bodybuilders, maca is claimed to be a great way to increase energy and enhance performance while building muscle. A recent study found that cyclists that consumed maca delivered a better and faster performance than those who didn’t.
- Increased Libido: Low libido is a common problem among adults. Maca has been heavily marketed as a powerful hack to boost your sex life. According to different studies, maca root can highly increase sexual desire after a few weeks of ingestion.
- Hormonal Balance: Maca is also a great way to get your hormones back in track, and it has been greatly praised among women in menopause due to its help in symptom alleviation Most patients recalled a decrease in hot flashes, vaginal dryness, mood swings, sleep problems and irritability.
- Mood Enhancer: Another study found that maca root is an incredible way to boost your mood, reduce anxiety, and diminish stress. The reason for this is the fact that maca is rich in flavonoids, which are responsible for the mood boost.
- Better Memorisation and Learning: Since maca improves brain functioning, it’s being used traditionally to improve school learning and memorization in Peruvian children for years. According to recent studies, even animals improve their retention and cognitive capacities when consuming it in the right dosage.
The best/easiest way to consume maca is to buy the organic powder presentation. Some people buy and cook the root themselves, but due to product availability, we believe that buying it is easier. The right dosage is to consume 5g, or the equivalent of a teaspoon on a daily basis to maximize its effect.
Is it worth it?
Absolutely. Like every other supplement in the market, you need to take into consideration that they are not magic and that they do they time to properly function. Remember, patience and persistence are key to notice results.
Editors Note: A week before starting this article I started adding organic maca powder into my daily smoothie and I can tell that I feel more energy and overall better mood. Have you tried it already? Did you experience its benefits? Let us know in the comments below!
At Rehealth, we believe that having informed patients is the only way to deliver optimal healthcare. Visit our website to find out more interesting content and be a part of an amazing health integrated community!